1. First make sure whether you have Python 2.7 installed or not. Open your terminals and enter the following command:
$ python -V
You should similar output as this: Python 2.7.6.
2. Download the SDK for App Engine from here: http://bit.ly/2fe0azC. Make sure you select the Python version.
3. Once your file downloads, extract it in any folder of your choice. In our example we will extract it inside the Home directory. Your SDK path in side the home folder should be like:
Note: In Ubuntu ~ represent the Home directory.
4. Remain in your home folder (do not change directory to your SDK folder) and execute the following commands in your terminal.
You should be getting the following result as shown in the image below:
|Click image to enlarge|
5. You will be asked the following questions which you may respond as below:
5.1 To help improve the quality of this product, we collect anonymized usage data and anonymized stacktraces when crashes are encountered.. You may choose to opt out of this collection now (by choosing 'N' at the below prompt), or at any time in the future by running the following command:
gcloud config set disable_usage_reporting true
Do you want to help improve the Google Cloud SDK (Y/n)? N
5.2. Modify profile to update your $PATH and enable shell command
completion? (Y/n)? Y
5.3. Enter a path to an rc file to update, or leave blank to use
[/home/evagabond/.bashrc]: just leave blank and hit enter
Use the gcloud init command to perform several common SDK setup tasks. These include authorizing the SDK tools to access Google Cloud Platform using your user account credentials and setting up the default SDK configuration.
Once you run the initi command, your default browser will open up and you will be asked to sign into your google account. This will be the account connected to your App Engine and various Google Cloud related services.
6.1. Open up another terminal and run the following command:
6.2 Accept the option to log in using your Google user account:
To continue, you must log in. Would you like to log in (Y/n)? Y
For further instructions on initialization you may go through the following Google Documentaiton: http://bit.ly/2gsZdrY
Installing App Engine:
gcloud components install app-engine-go
Helpful Resources by Google:
- Quickstart for Linux: https://cloud.google.com/sdk/docs/quickstart-linux
- Google SDK Documentation: https://cloud.google.com/sdk/docs/
- Concepts: https://cloud.google.com/sdk/docs/concepts
- Managing Cloud SDK Components: https://cloud.google.com/sdk/docs/managing-components
- gcloud component installs: https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/components/install